Friday, April 25, 2008

Both sides of the Story & Tech-No-Logic

Multiple sides are even better - who's to say there's only two?! I went to the library yesterday and am doing something really interesting, I'm reading a book that criticizes the underlying assumptions that Freudian psychoanalysis is built on by Filip Buekens: "Freud's mistake, illusions of psychoanalysis" - AND - I'm reading a book that explains Lacanian psychoanalysis (Jacques Lacan) with popular culture (famous books, philosophy and movies) by Slavoj Zizek called "Looking Awry" (I don't know either author and hadn't heard of Lacan either, which rocks cause there's less to judge in advance :p). This was purely on a whim as the books kinda jumped out as they tend to do. Interestingly Buekens also has a book criticizing Lacan's ideas but my library doesn't have it so small chance of seeing that. Zizek's book explaining Lacan which starts by using Zeno's paradoxes is absolutely fascinating and is even shedding light on teachings of Buddha and Eckhart Tolle for me!


It's way too early to post something yet out of the books (though that hasn't stopped me before, watch out the coming days :p) but it's VERY enlightening to read different perspectives on one topic simultaniously, from the little I had read about psychoanalysis I wasn't very positive towards it. The Woody Allen psychoanalysis jokes in his movies are hilarious, and then there's all the Freudian BS of institutionalizing it fast - partly because according to Tad James he sucked at hypnosis with his gums ruined from all the cocaine he used and false teeth not fitting well not being very trance inducing :p - so he invented "talking therapy" which was gonna take long and cost a lot of money! That probably got a lot of folks on board easily! And hypnosis got demonized and obscured. Carl Jung's more interesting (to me) analytical psychology probably remains relatively obscure because the man was far ahead of his time. That being said, I haven't experienced psychoanalysis or analytical psychology so please let me know if you have and what you think of it.

Ok but this post was basically about... - bear with me ok :p it gets interesting again after this bit - my audio-input of another (sony) mp3player is broken again! These trinkets that cost so much money... the last one didn't even last me a damn year. This is my freaking fifth one or something! Maybe I oughta keep one to hook on to speakers in the bathroom and another one for on the go so the audiojack can't wear out. Damn wish I thought of that sooner.

Still! Does anybody know an mp3player with a decent audio-input that doesn't wear out fast? (Don't recommend Ipod cause they wear as fast as Sony, and btw the previous version of my mp3player was way better than the current one lol). I use it a lot for audiobooks on the go and occasional binaural beat or guided meditations so your advice would be appreciated!

I bet some of you have no idea how I'm gonna tie this to psychoanalysis or Freud. Well there's an Anime series (where the hell is he going now!? :p) called Ergo Proxy, which features a lot of cool philosophy and psychology in it. For instance Pierre-Félix Guattari and Gilles Deleuze, who both went against Freudian understanding and the capitalist theory that desires come from a sense of lack, and that the only way to meet those desires is to consume - this is why upgrades SUCK in technology, because the companies know thanks to Freud & other schmucks that they can make money off the next near-meaningless upgrade which you'll probably buy to fill that illusionary 'emptiness' you think exists - Instead, Guattari and Deleuze claim that desire is a productive force. Which I totally agree with, when I was younger and working in IT at an international company I wasted my money on all kinds of dumb gadgets I thought was gonna make me happy - I'm infinitely happier exploring consciousness, learning and spreading information than I was playing with toys for the little time they were interesting before they got boring and got tossed aside.

Jacque Fresco's work reflects this too - if his Venus Project would be applied to society we could all be productive and enjoying ourselves in learning, teaching, creating and so on. And if more people realized this we wouldn't have a capitalist system based on debt, instant meaningless gratification and snailpaced (public) progress in science, technology and consciousness. It's not what's been selling, it's what you're buying! Choose wisely on what you spend your bio-survival paper tickets on.


Daft Punk: Tech no logic (check out Daft Hands if you're bored too ;p)

Now for the other side of technology. It is obviously not technology that's the problem, but the application of it. So while also nodding to Fresco's work again, here's an interesting quote:
"It's very obvious that quantum physics, parapsychology and all the work they're doing attaching brain scanners to Yogis and Zen masters means we're going to learn a great deal about the non-local quantum circuit. I think the history of mysticism has been sort of like a bunch of firecrackers with two or three going off every century. With the LSD revolution it became two or three every month and now it's moving up to two or three every week. I see a real acceleration in consciousness, just like in technology."
Robert Anton Wilson

No comments: