Thursday, May 15, 2008

Spreading Brainfood

A distressing tendency I find is that the people around me - even if they open their mind for a little - still do not like new information that shakes their worldview, even if only a little. I don't know anybody who really likes discussing this stuff, and have even found some people exploring certain fields do it with a strong belief system which very much restricts bringing up related topics and thus interesting conversation, the robot or droid metaphor is appropriate with the bs being the operating system and thus their seeming limits. I've made some people aware of stuff like the issues with symbolism, false flag ops, science, mysticism and so on. I always keep it very short, like mostly one or two lines per day or something, for the following reason:
I always notice resistance, you just feel it in the air. Even though I even just say they are possibilities, theories, that I don't believe them and are just interesting, I get reactions like "that seems farfetched", "hmm" (the bad one), and "really?" *turn head away awkwardly*. Almost never, do they ask something more, or share a thought which is kinda frustrating. Though I can appreciate that they likely have to think it over a little while before talking about it, give it some time to adjust in their reality tunnel, maybe even research it some more - but that's rare I've found. Take a second, to realize then how little one accomplishes by being passionate, using strong language, or worse, using CAPS shouting people to wake the * up. (*strong glare at the myspace community :p*).
I think one huge obstacle is the current mindset of wanting to be right or looking smart, more than having an interesting conversation. People wanna look smart and look stupid doing it. I can't stand following some conversations where it's just like ego's are marking territory. People really don't like the vulnerability of shaking the comfort zone.
Despite the frustration, of which the level you entirely control, I still find in conversation that dropping little brainfood bombs is the best way, because when it's interesting and not too 'out there', they will be shared because the info stands out in their recent memory. The good news that counters the frustration, is that I always hear "Oh I told * about *, and * said that he heard *." and that is usually always positive. And with patience sometimes interesting exchanges are made and things can only get better as long as you don't force it.
So 2 points I'd like to raise is, take this moment to think of when you last had resistance to merely exploring new information or thought patterns and why that, really, was. And do you have any thoughts on spreading info more optimally and efficiently?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Humor is one of the best ways of getting information across. George Carlin knows...

dedroidify said...

Oh yeah thanks great point, I use it often too. Should have included that in the post.

Michael Skaggs said...

I like the little brainfood crumbs myself, just stating a little factoid now and again and leaving it to stir within their minds, but yes I agree humor can sometimes be a great method!

Garrett Demers said...

i am a bartender and am constantly trying to crack open minds while at work. definitely difficult to do with some, but each lock has a key that will unlock it. it's just a matter of finding the proper approach for each individual, and being careful not to let the ego get in the way.

dedroidify said...

That's excellent Garrett, I'd be a regular if you weren't across the ocean as I assume ;)

T.V. said...

I think everyone experiences this once in awhile on their blog. Sometimes even the humor is misunderstood. A Discordian post a few months back brought some surprising comments.

MartinMS said...

Me, too !!! I've never heard a bartender say things like "each lock has a key that will unlock it. it's just a matter of finding the proper approach for each individual, and being careful not to let the ego get in the way". Here's to you, Garrett!!

Joe said...

This is a great post and there are some great comments here.

The key to spreading ideas and information is to listen to the person you're trying to enlighten. Listen with all of your knowledge of the ego and egoic tendencies. Really attempt to understand the person, or who they think they are. You'll be amazed how deep you can get. Once you've got them talking about their beliefs honestly, you can just ask them simple questions like "why?" and eventually cognitive dissonance will begin to take place. Then you can begin to suggest alternatives, and the person will be much more receptive to them.

Did that make any sense? Sorry I'm really high right now.