Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Daily Dedroidify: Divination with I Ching & Tarot

The I Ching (The Book of Changes) is the oldest of the Chinese classic texts and possibly the world. A symbol system designed to identify order in what seem like chance events, it describes an ancient system of cosmology and philosophy that is at the heart of Chinese cultural beliefs. The philosophy centers on the ideas of the dynamic balance of opposites (Yin Yang), the evolution of events as a process, and acceptance of the inevitability of change. The book consists of a series of symbols, rules for manipulating these symbols, poems, and commentary for divination purposes. It does not predict the future, since the future is a co-created state in flux all the time, however it can be used as a guide for specific questions you might have - your very own oracle always at your disposal!

In contradiction to the Greek formed western spirit that strives to understand individuality, the Chinese spirit sees the individual as part of a whole. Through intuition one can ask this divinatory system a question by meditating over or repeating a question over & over by keeping only the question in mind, while using one of the methods for divination. (For the coin method I recommend Richard Wilhelm's work on the I Ching.)
However the Information Age has given us a great new tool to divine:

To use this I recommend repeating your specific question over and over for a few seconds, then click the All at once button while you keep repeating it (and still not thinking of anything else) untill the process has finished. Then review each button from top to bottom as valuable advice is given to you. (You can choose your language Dutch - English - French - German - Italian under the Yin Yang symbol)

disclaimer:
The I Ching warns: "When the oracle questioner is not in contact with the tao, he will not receive a meaningful answer, because it would be forsaken either way."

Example:
I once had a physical affliction, I checked online to see what these symptoms could be part of, and it listed a tumor and other serious diseases among a big list also including minor ones though. So I checked with the I Ching, it reassured me with something like: Joyous Joyous Receiving Breakthrough. Telling me to see a friend (the doctor) etc. And it was right, it was something insignificant for which I received medication and it was healed quickly. If you take the I Ching seriously, and ask your question sincerely it will always give you a significant answer to help you along the way.
Another reason I take the I Ching seriously is, when I repeated a certain question 3 times over 2 weeks, the third time the I Ching replied something along the lines of "The oracle answers the first question, but the second and third time..." :p

Carl Jung considered the I Ching as a Synchronicity Computer.

from Carl Jung's preface to the I Ching:
The I ching does not present itself with proofs and clear results: it doesn't make any uproar of itself and is not easy to approach. As a part of nature it waits for its discovery. It does not boast with facts or power, but for those that strive towards self-knowledge, towards wisdom - if there exists such a thing - it is probably the right book. (...) For one the spirit it radiates will be as clear as day, for another blurry as the dusk, for a third as dark as the night. Who doesn't feel for it, need not use it; who opposes it, need not recognize its truth. Let it go into the world to benefit those that are able to understand its meaning.
Jean Shinoda Bolen devotes an entire chapter to the I Ching in her book The Tao of Psychology: Synchronicity and Self.

If you prefer a different sort of divination, you can download an interactive CYBER TAROT program. The tarot is a set of cards displaying allegorical representations. IMO they give a more detailed reading than the riddled language of the I Ching, though I value them both equally. The same basic approach rules apply. (Tarot wiki link)

Cyber Tarot is a software program Rushkoff developed with Andrew Mayer, Jason Shankel, and Jennifer Kendall in 1994. It's Mac and PC compatible TarotCard, with two different decks and a bunch of spreads. You can shuffle from your own deck, deal cards into the program's spreads, read divinations, plot trends, and even create your own spreads or load your own favorite decks.
(from Douglas Rushkoff's website rushkoff.com - who I respect a lot less since he fell for the Obama spell, geez.)

Example:
The tarot may not be as random as you think, as you use the same principle of synchronicity with focusing all your thought on your question or subject, you create a synchronistic reading. For instance, I seem to have (only) the key card in phases of several months each, the last phase I was in was the Empress, and I'm currently in the Knight of Cups. When I do a reading for somebody else, the key card is different, but when I do a reading for myself, I each time get the card of the current phase I seem to be in. The night before I left for Thailand I did a celtic cross reading that told me I was gonna have misfortune in the near future, but it would turn out ok. I wasn't worried at all as I was thinking what could possibly happen? Well I woke up a few hours too late and my travel companions were already on the train to the airport :p But I got my sister to drive me and they got the hour of the train wrong anyway, I arrived at the station while the train was coming into the station, ten minutes late :p

Michael Tsarion: Inner Zodiac
78 notes to self tarot blog
another great alternative: Orphalese

No comments: