Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Does ASMR affect you?

Autonomous sensory meridian response, is a neologism for a recently described perceptual phenomenon characterized as a distinct, pleasurable tingling sensation in the head, scalp, back, or peripheral regions of the body in response to visual, auditory, olfactory, and/or cognitive stimuli. The nature and classification of the ASMR phenomenon is controversial. Tom Stafford, a professor at the University of Sheffield, says, "It might well be a real thing, but it's inherently difficult to research."

Put on stereo headphones and see if it affects you. It does nothing for me unfortunately but it's apparently very relaxing for others so I thought I'd share it. Warning: some people who make the vids are pretty weird and creepy lol.

2 comments:

John Anderson said...

Yes it does! I just discovered ASMR as a result of your post. I was curious so I looked it up on google and found some videos, the first one was some girl whispering to the left and right of the Mic...wow. I thought it was strange but neat sounding, then I found some videos of tapping sounds and bags crinkling, woa....my head tingles, my body twitches and I have a perma grim. It feels similar to how your body feels during a good scalp massage except, it is w/ sound and I guess imagination. I tried on on some of the Kids I work w/ who are on the Autism Spectrum, I work w/ 4 boys twice a week, I tapped a small box gnetly next to their ears...3 boys had no reaction but one asked me to continue doing it and found it very soothing!
I am going to investigate this, a client of mine has OCD and a hard time focusing in school. It was suggested that he try some headphones and music to calm him or help keep his focus, I am going try some ASMR sounds or white noise and see if that helps him.
The link below takes you to a white noise generator, if ASMR videos affect you...give the following a try.
http://simplynoise.com/

Dedroidify said...

Hey man, really great that it helps you and the boy!