Monday, April 9, 2012

READING MOAR BOOKZ

You may have noticed I am doing a redonculous amount of reading lately, some might wonder how I'm managing this, so in an effort to motivate people to read more (I know I have times when I just am not 'able' to read when I want to.) here goes: It's not that hard! first of all, I don't read one book from start to finish and then pick up another one. I sometimes read over 5 or more books at a time. Sometimes if I finish one book - I will have read parts of tens of books alongside it. I compare reading to watching several tv series rather than a long movie, a long movie is hard to sit through as the attention span of the average individual nowadays can't handle to keep focused that long. Yet you can always pauze in watching episodes of a tv series and watch an episode of another series and then watch another one a few days or even weeks later when you feel like it. I usually try to finish a chapter, though it's no necessity. It also brings some nice synchronicities and coming together or elaborating on certain subjects when mixing books.
Sometimes the author in a book will touch on something which just doesn't interest me or serves me little at the time, and I find when I pick up the book (open the pdf again) later, I seem to have more use for the information since I have learned and read other things connected to it by now. There's no shame in skipping chapters entirely either, you can skim through 'em to see if there isn't anything interesting there to be sure. You can totally stop reading a book for a while too. For instance I stopped reading Lon Milo Duquette's book The Key To Solomon's Key cause the next chapter is about Goetic Invocation, something I am not interested or ready for in my novice Magickal career.
Speed Reading is highly recommended to invest some time to learn if you want to do a lot of reading. Now speed reading an entire book won't work that well cause the comprehension drops as the speed increases, but it will inevitably speed up your reading and whenever it gets boring or less practical or useful you can speedread (which is grouping words or half-lines without subvocalizing them) through a section or chapter fast and gain a lot of time, the time invested in learning speedreading has been more than worth it! Download EyeQ and do it everyday (DO IT) and you'll be off in no time. I think I spent a month or more practicting speedreading and never had to use a program again after it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I also do this, but i find that I learn a lot less about individual subjects. they cross fertilze and my creativity goes up, but then the inevitable question arises - where did I get that information from?