Monday, March 12, 2012
Sunday, March 11, 2012
The book tells the story of a psychiatrist named Luke Rhinehart who, feeling bored and unfulfilled in life, starts making decisions about what to do based on a roll of a dice. Along the way, there is sex, rape, murder, "dice parties", breakouts by psychiatric patients, and various corporate and governmental machines being put into a spin. There is also a description of the cult that starts to develop around the man, and the psychological research he initiates, such as the "Fuck without Fear for Fun and Profit" program.
It's recommended by RAW and Rodney Orpheus so I got my hands on it, also cause the thought of doing it myself sort of terrifies me a bit, in any case I don't see myself throwing a pair of dice around at work but I may in my free time after I finish the book. To start the migration process to the new version of the software I give support for at work uses a pair of dice as the icon to click, the choice of this image made me laugh out loud the first time I saw it. Though it features sixes on all sides of the dice and there is no real choice to not upgrade as the communication protocol X.400 that the old version uses will be unsupported soon.
The dice decide my fate and that's a shame.
In these trembling hands my faith.
Tells me to react, 'I don't care.'
Maybe it's unkind that I should change.
A feeling that we share.
It's a shame.
Such a shame. Number me with rage.
It's a shame. Such a shame.
Number me in haste. Such a shame.
This eagerness to change. Such a shame.
Saturday, March 10, 2012
It's another Magick for Beginners book, and it's starting out great! Thank you Rodney Orpheus, this time for giving me an exercise that has made it possible for me to meditate without taking conscious control of my breath, yes that's how much of a novice I still am. Finally I'm able to do vipassana meditation right and get pretty damn high in the process of it! And I can only hope will help with the Dharana too.
Friday, March 9, 2012
Sound Photosynthesis presents PSYCHEDELICS IN THE 1990'S - MAPS Conference Compilation. Historical. A gathering together to discuss the fate of psychedelics in the 1990's and their possible regulation or continued prohibition, are a group of speakers with divergent views and past experiences. Nevertheless, they share a deep commitment to the development of a constructive policy towards psychedelics. They graciously agreed to speak to help raise funds for psychedelic research, a field that has been at a standstill for a generation. Participants were: Timothy Leary, Alice Agar Wittine, Ram Dass, Rick Doblin, Mark Kleiman, Robert Zanger, Terence McKenna, Emerson Jackson, Ralph Matzner, Andrew Weil, Laura Huxley, Dennis McKenna, Jerome Beck, and Bruce Eisner. This is the closest you will get if you weren't there to begin with...if you were, this is better than your memories.
Robert Anton Wilson & Timothy Leary @ The Bridge Psychedelic Conference 1991:
Thursday, March 8, 2012
The voice may inform the vision, as the vision the voice. Once again, gnosis is the key. During pranayama sessions, I would silently intone my mantra and use it to count my breath. This would then time my footsteps whilst the rest of my ego focused on looking where I was going. Something would still be there, observing, ever watching. What could it see? What did it look like? What did it think? Were its thoughts a voice, clearly detached from my own?
The "Game of Higher Intelligences" was mentioned in Robert Anton Wilson’s excellent book "Schrodinger’s Cat" as an excellent short cut to HGA consciousness. Normally there are two players. One player plays the role of human seeker, the other plays the role of extra terrestrial genius who is watching the world. The seeker asks the genius questions about some of the great problems faced by humanity. The alien intelligence responds, from its detached/disinterested perspective:
"‘Why is there so much violence and hatred amongst us’?.."
It is always that way on primitive planets... The early stages of evolution are never pretty...
"Do planets grow up?"...
"Some of them"...
"Through suffering enough they learn wisdom"...
"Through suffering... There’s no other way.
"Not in the primitive stages... Primitives are too self centred to ask the important questions until suffering forces them to ask"...
(Robert Anton wilson (1990) Schrodingers Cat Trilogy [Orbit Books]).
The players then switch to dealing with personally relevant issues and have goes at swapping roles. I found an interesting method was to then try playing both roles alone...
Liber Samekh : Being the Ritual employed by the BEAST 666 for the Attainment of the Knowledge and Conversation of His Holy Guardian Angel during the Semester of His Performance of the Operation of the Sacred Magick of ABRAMELIN THE MAGE.
Wednesday, March 7, 2012
"There are no hard an fast rules, unless you want to tie yourself to a particular persons approach, in which case do what they say. There are some pretty specific ideas in older grimoires, but they're not thelemic. Book 4 has a chapter on the magical circle as well as one suggested version based on an older version but "Thelema-ised". http://aleister-crowley-books.com/im...c%20Circle.jpg (link dead)
The basic principle is you need a circle. That's it. Some folks don't even require that, as they see the circle as a physical representation of the circle created energetically by your banishing or in your aura by greater banishings. If your more comfortable with a physical circle, you can "fortify" it with holy names of your choosing (e.g. In the image) and suitable colors.
Here is a classic from the Key of Solomon,
http://www.sacred-texts.com/grim/lks/img/fig153-4.jpg and if you have Duquette's autobiography it contains one featuring some Coleridge poetry as the inscription."
And from another person: "You can create a circle with a pack of Tarot cards."
So I did the latter with my new Rider Waite Tarot pack I bought today for today's daily ritual (normally I just banish). I quite liked it! I also have done a reading already being exhausted from lack of sleep and loads of theoretical training at my new job I wanted to get out of an appointment, I was just gonna ignore I had it (as really tired people who cba can do) but I decided to shuffle my deck for the first time and draw a card: Seven of Swords - http://www.learntarot.com/s7.htm, I was e-mailing my friend at the time and she said her explanation of the cards said " "this card emphasises the need for diplomacy to attan your objective, do not use aggressive tactics. Use your brain to achieve your objective." (the book I got had even another text that was very fitting to the situation but I'm too tired to copy it and explain the situation more.) So I slapped myself, contacted the people politely explaining my situation and got excused, yay! Do we really need tarot for that? Well when we're this tired it can help to let cards straighten you out when your brain is asleep ;).
I don't think I ever had a reading that didn't make sense (I usually rarely do a tarot reading too but gimme a break I bought them today ;p). I might buy Douglas Rushkoff's Cyber Tarot program (if it drops in price and is compatible with modern computers :p) too, it's available on Amazon now as opposed to being free on his website, but that program was very nifty (and had a wonderful modern deck with Carl Jung etc.), will give my new cards a good run first though, can't wait to experiment on the Kabbalah's Tree of Life Paths with them.
Update: I wanted to draw one card to inform me about the knowledge and conversation of the holy guardian angel, guess which card I drew, Seven of Swords, again, what are the odds lol.
Life is a waterfall
We're one in the river
And one again after the fall
Swimming through the void
We hear the word
We lose ourselves
But we find it all
Cause we are the one that wanna play
Always wanna go
But you never wanna stay
And we are the ones that want to choose
Always wanna play
But you never wanna lose
Aerials, in the sky
When you lose small mind
You free your life
Life is a waterfall
We drink from the river
Then we turn around and put up our walls
Swimming through the void
We hear the word
We lose ourselves
But we find it all
Cause we are the ones that wanna play
Always wanna go
But you never wanna stay
And we are the ones that wanna choose
Always wanna play
But you never wanna lose
Aerials, in the sky
When you lose small mind
You free your life
Aerials, so up high
When you free your eyes eternal prize
Aerials, in the sky
When you lose small mind
You free your life
Aerials, so up high
When you free your eyes eternal prize
Tuesday, March 6, 2012
|Location of the Temple|
Cladists classify land vertebrates based on the presence of an upper hole, a lower hole, both, or neither in the cover of dermal bone which formerly covered the temporalis muscle, whose origin is the temple and whose insertion is the jaw. The brain has a lobe, called the temporal lobe.
The word "temple" as used in anatomy has a separate etymology from the word temple, meaning "place of worship". Both come from Latin, but the word for the place of worship comes from templum, whereas the word for the part of the head comes from Vulgar Latin *tempula, modified from tempora, plural form ("both temples") of tempus, a word that meant both "time" and the part of the head.Due to the common source with the word for time, the adjective for both is "temporal" (both "pertaining to time" and "pertaining to the anatomical temple").
I read 80 pages in one go of this book and it's just awesome. Some absolutely hilarious moments and just a wonderful read. I'm going to continue the Chicken Qabalah of him later and definitely gonna read some more cause to me he just resonates amazingly. I think I found a new hero.
"A rare glimpse into the fascinating, sometimes terrifying, sometimes hilarious world of a modern ceremonial magician. Hailed by critics as the most entertaining author and one of the most widely respected members of the magick community, Lon Milo DuQuette provides a beacon for aspiring magicians everywhere."
Monday, March 5, 2012
I once had a lucid dream wherein I realized I was dreaming, but I was not able to change my surroundings. I was on a long abandoned road with on each side endless bodies of still water, and a huge Moon lighting up a dark sky. I was in a convertible car and thought ok, I can't change anything, but why would I want to? How about just enjoying this amazing view. So I got into the backseat and stretched out, arms behind my head and just stared at this wonderful sight.
The Laws of Magic are not legislative laws, but, like those of physics or musical harmony, are actually fairly practical observations that have been accumulated over thousands of years. These laws describe the way magic seems to behave.
- The LAW OF KNOWLEDGE
- This is probably the most widely used law, and probably encompasses all the others in some way. The basis of this law is that understanding brings control. The more that is known about a subject, the easier it is to excercise control over it. Knowledge is power.
- The LAW OF SELF-KNOWLEDGE
- An obvious derivative of the LAW OF KNOWLEDGE, this law carries additional connotations, as a mage who does not have knowledge of himself does not have knowledge (and therefore control) of his own magic. This law is one of the reasons "evil" mages are very rare—a dedication to "evil for evil's sake" is usually due to a lack of introspection and awareness of oneself. It is difficult to do harm to others when you understand fully what that kind of harm would do to you. Know thyself.
- The LAW OF CAUSE AND EFFECT
- A simple scientific understanding—if exactly the same actions are done under exactly the same conditions, they will be associated with exactly the same results. Magicians have at least as much belief in cause and effect as modern physicists do, they just realize that a good ritual, like a good theatrical performance or a good bread recipe, isn't always predictable. In truth, a spell involves so many variables, that controlling or even understanding them all is impossible. The key to magical success is learning which variables are the most important, and how to keep them constant. Control over the variables is icing on the cake.
- The LAW OF SYNCHRONICITY
- Two or more events happening at the same time are likely to have more in common than the merely temporal. Very few events ever happen in isolation from other events. There is no such thing as a mere coincidence.
- The LAW OF ASSOCIATION
- If any two pattern have elements in common, the patterns interact "through" those common elements, and control of one pattern facilitates control of the other(s) depending (among other factors) upon the number of common elements involved. This is a very important law, up there with the LAW OF KNOWLEDGE.
- The LAW OF SIMILARITY
- Having an accurate physical or mental representation of something facilitates control over it. This one is fairly obvious in its usage—having a model, picture, or other representation of your target (like a voodoo doll) gives you power to effect the target. Look alikes are alike.
- The LAW OF CONTAGION
- Objects or beings in physical contact with each other continue to interact after separation. Everyone you have ever touched has a magical link with you, though it is probably pretty weak unless the contact was intense and/or prolonged or repeated frequently. Magical power is contagious. Naturally, having a part of someone's body (nails, hair, spit, etc.) gives the best contagion link.
- The LAW OF NAMES
- Knowing the complete and true name of an object, being, or process gives one complete control over it. This works because a name is a definition (yes, even "Harold", "Marie", "Kunte", and "Jasmine" were at one time) as well as a contagion link, and an association (if you call something the same name over and over, that name becomes associated with the thing). This also works, because knowing the complete and true name of something or someone means that you have achieved a complete understanding of its or their nature. This is why, in most pre-industrial cultures, people are given "secret names", as well as "public names", and why the sharing of a secret name is such an act of trust—because the secret name is considered to be very close to, if not identical with, the person's true name.
- The LAW OF WORDS OF POWER
- There exist certain words that are able to alter the internal and external realities of those uttering them, and the power may rest in the very sounds of the words as much as their meanings. Many of such words are names, though the meanings may have been lost or forgotten. Very many magical tools require words to be inscribed upon them and/or said over them during their construction and/or use.
- The LAW OF PERSONIFICATION
- Any phenomenon may be considered to be alive and to have a personality—that is, to "be" an entity or being. Anything can be a person. Most weather mages personify the winds and the clouds, for example, and thus find focussing their magic on the atmosphere much easier to do.
- The LAW OF INVOCATION
- It is possible to establish internal communication with entities from either inside or outside oneself, said entities seeming to be inside of oneself during the communication process.
- The LAW OF EVOCATION
- It is possible to establish external communication with entities from either inside or outside oneself, said entities seeming to be outside oneself during the communication process.
- The LAW OF IDENTIFICATION
- It is possible through maximum association between elements of oneself and those of another being to actually become that being, to the point of sharing its knowledge and wielding its power. This is the law that controls most lengthy or permanent possession phenomena.
- The LAW OF PERSONAL UNIVERSES
- Every sentient being lives in and quite possibly creates a unique universe which can never be 100% identical to that lived in by another. So called "reality" is in fact a matter of consensus opinions. This law is nowhere near as obvious as the other laws in its applications, but if you can figure some out, you can use it.
- The LAW OF INFINITE UNIVERSES
- The total number of universes into which all possible combinations of existing phenomena could be organized is infinite. Anything is possible, though some things are more probable than others. You might consider this to refer to the "alternate probability worlds" of science fiction, but it also has a much wider application.
- The LAW OF PRAGMATISM
- If a pattern of belief or behavior enables a being to survive and to accomplish chosen goals, then that belief or behavior is "true" or "real" or "sensible". If it works, it's true. Another rather obscure law, but it does have some very useful applications.
- The LAW OF TRUE FALSEHOODS
- It is possible for a concept or act to violate the truth patterns of a given personal universe and still be "true", provided that it "works" in a specific situation. If it's a paradox, it's still probably true. This law is basically useless, except to justify use of the above three laws without screwing things up in your version of the real world.
- The LAW OF SYNTHESIS
- The synthesis of two or more "opposing" patterns of data will produce a new pattern that will be truer than either of the first two were. That is, it will be applicable to more levels of reality, and this new pattern may not be a compromise, but may be something rather new indeed.
- The LAW OF POLARITY
- Any pattern of data can be split into (at least) two "opposing" characteristics, and each will contain the essence of the other within itself.
- The LAW OF OPPOSITES
- A sub-law of POLARITY. The "opposite" of a pattern contains information about that pattern, by providing information on what the pattern is not. Thus, control over a pattern's opposite (or close to it's opposite) facilitates control over the pattern itself. (Note that this one I alone take the blame for, as it is my own extension of POLARITY and SIMILARITY)
- The LAW OF DYNAMIC BALANCE
- To survive, let alone to become powerful, one must keep every aspect of one's universe in a state of dynamic balance with every other aspect. Extremism is dangerous, as the extreme being becomes so associated with the extreme aspect, that they lose the ability to avoid that aspect at all. This is another reason "evil" mages are rare, as continuous association with pain or death will cause a mage pain or death, ending the mage's ability to continue actively with "evil". This is also why "good" mages, especially healers, tend to live a long time.
- The LAW OF PERVERSITY
- Sometimes known as Murphy's Law. If anything can go wrong, it will, and in the most annoying manner possible. Magical associations sometimes operate in the reverse of what was desired, and meaningful coincidences are just as likely to be unpleasant as pleasant. Even if nothing can go wrong, some element of the universe may change so that things will go wrong anyway. Whether we like it or not, the gods (or fates, or what have you) do have a sense of humor. Emotionally healthy mages have less problems with this law than others do, as the mage's own subconscious mind is probably a major perpetrator of this law.
- The LAW OF UNITY
- Every phenomena in existance is linked directly or indirectly to every other one, past, present, or future. Perceived seperations between phenomena are based on incomplete sensing and/or understanding.
Sunday, March 4, 2012
These different methods of classifying the Sephiroth are not competing systems, but are designed to enable the decimal system of the Qabalists to be equated with other systems, using a threefold notation, such as the Christian, or as we have already noted, a sevenfold system like Theosophy; they are also valuable as indicating functional affiliations among the Sephiroth themselves.
Pillar of Mercy (Right-Hand) Positive, Masculine, Creation
Middle Pillar of Mildness/Equilibrium, Harmony - Consciousness
Also see the 2 principles, Yin and Yang and the Tao (the Equilibrium between them).
And the 3 channels of Prana: Ida, Pingala, Shushumna (central)
The Kundalini rises through Shushumna central channel, and consciousness is extended. The western magical operaiton of rising on the planes takes place on the central pillar of the tree: Malkuth to Yesod, to Tiphareth, the path of the Arrow. Malkuth=brain consciousness, after any astral projection the ceremonial return is made to malkuth and normal consciousness re-establishes therein.
These forces stimulate the corresponding chakras of the initiate and wake them to activity in his aura. The process of self-initiation by the meditations I have described is slower than the processes of ritual initiation, but it is sure enough if persevered with by a suitable person, but one cannot teach a jelly-fish to sing by feeding it canary-seed.
Atziluth - Archetypal World
(World of Emanations) - Kether
(Gods directly act through it)
Four Colour Scales: King Scale
Suit of Wands and Fire
Briah - Creative World
Chokmah & Binah, Supernal Abba & Ama, Father and Mother
Four Colour Scales: Queen Scale.
Suit of Cups and Water.
Yetzriah - Formative World
Six central Sephiroth (Chesed, Geburah, Tiphareth, Netzach, Hod, and Yesod)
(Angelic Orders, choirs of angels)
Four Colour Scales: Emperor Scale.
Suit of Swords and Air.
Assiah - Material World
(Mundane Chakras, planets, elements, signs of the zodiac - natural centres of force)
Four Colour Scales: Empress Scale.
Suit of Pentacles/Coins and Earth.
Tetragrammaton - YHVH: Yod, He', Vau, He'
the Four Worlds of the Qabalists; the four elements of the alchemists; the fourfold classification of the signs of the Zodiac and the planets into triplicities, employed by the astrologers; and the four suits of the Tarot pack used in divination.
King, mounted, swift action of Yod
Prince, seated figure, Vau
Princess, knave Hé final of the sacred name.
Seventh Palace: Yesod and Malkuth
The rest of the Sephiroth have a palace to itself. This reveals the intimate relationship of Yesod and Malkuth and enables the tenfold scale of Qabalah to be equated with sevenfold scale of Theosophy.
manifested as Abba, Supernal Father, Chokmah and Ama, the Supernal Mother, Binah.
When united (positive & negative) are Elohim, this union takes place in Daath.
Zaur Anpin, Lesser countenance or Microprosopos
Six Sephiroth are contained therein, the special one being Tiphareth. The remaining Sephirah, Malkuth is called the Bride of the Microprosopos.
Microprosopos is also sometimes called the King. Malkuth is then called the Queen. She is also called the Lesser Mother or Terestiral Eve as distinguished from Binah, the Supernal mother.
Final System of classification is under...
Aleph, A - air
Mem, M - water
Shin, Sh - Fire
Under the presidency of Aleph is the Airy triad of Kether, in which is the Root of Air, reflecting downward through Tiphareth, the Solar Fire, into Yesod, the Lunar radiance. In Binali is the Root of Water (Marah, the Great Sea), reflected through Chesed into Hod, under the presidency of Mem, the Mother of Watei. In Chokmah is the Root of Fire, reflected downwards through Geburah into Netzach, under the presidency of Shin, the Mother of Fire.
Saturday, March 3, 2012
2. The adepts of those races whose evolutionary destiny is to conquer the physical plane have evolved a Yoga technique of their own which is adapted to their special problems and peculiar needs. This technique is based upon the well-known but little understood Qabalah, the Wisdom of Israel.
3. It may be asked why it is that the Western nations should go to the Hebrew culture for their mystical tradition ? The answer to this question will be readily understood by those
who are acquainted with the esoteric theory concerning races and sub-races. Everything must have a source. Cultures do not spring out of nothing. The seed-bearers of each new phase of culture must of necessity arise within the preceding Culture. No one can deny that Judaism was the matrix of the European spiritual culture when they recall the fact that Jesus and Paul were both Jews. No race except the Jewish race could possibly have served as the stock upon which the new dispensation was to be grafted because no other race was monotheistic. Pantheism and polytheism had had their day and a new and more spiritual culture was due. The Christian races owe their religion to the Jewish culture as surely as the Buddhist races of the East owe theirs to the Hindu culture.
4. The mysticism of Israel supplies the foundation of modern Western occultism. It forms the theoretical basis upon which all ceremonial is developed. Its famous glyph, the Tree of Life, is the best meditation-symbol we possess because it is the most comprehensive.
5. It is not my intention to write a historical study of the sources of the Qabalah, but rather to show the uses that are made of it by modern students of the Mysteries. For although the roots of our system are in tradition, there is no reason why we should be hid bound by tradition. A technique that is being actually practised is a growing thing, for the experience of each worker enriches it and becomes part of the common heritage.
6. It is not necessarily incumbent upon us to do certain things or hold certain ideas because the Rabbis who lived before Christ had certain views. The world has moved on since those days and we are under a new dispensation but what was true in principle then will be true in principle now, and of value to us. The modern Qabalist is the heir of the ancient Qabalist, but he must re-interpret doctrine and re-formulate method in the light of the present dispensation if the heritage he has received is to be of any practical value to him.
7. I do not claim that the modern Qabalistic teachings as I have learnt them are identical
with those of the pre-Christian Rabbis, but I claim that they are the legitimate descendants thereof and the natural development therefrom.
8. The nearer the source the purer the stream. In order to discover first principles we must go to the fountain-head. But a river receives many tributaries in the course of its flow, and these need not necessarily be polluted. If we want to discover whether they are pure or not, we compare them with the pristine stream, and if they pass this test they may well be permitted to mingle with the main body of waters and swell their strength. So it is with a tradition: that which is not antagonistic will be assimilated. We must always test the purity of a tradition by reference to first principles, but we shall equally judge of the vitality of a tradition by its power to assimilate. It is only a dead faith which remains uninfluenced by contemporary thought.
9. The original stream of Hebraic mysticism has received many tributaries. We see its rise among the nomad star-worshippers of Chaldea, where Abraham in his tent among his flocks hears the voice of God. But Abraham has a shadowy background in which vast forms move half-seen. The mysterious figure of a great Priest-king, "born without father, without mother, without descent; having neither beginning of days nor end of life," administers to him the first Eucharistic feast of bread and wine after the battle with the Kings in the valley, the sinister Kings of Edom, "who ruled ere there was a king in Israel, whose kingdoms are unbalanced force."
10. Generation by generation we trace the intercourse of the princes of Israel with the priest-kings of Egypt. Abraham and Jacob went thither; Joseph and Moses were intimately associated with the court of the royal adepts. When we read of Solomon sending to Hiram, King of Tyre, for men materials to aid in the building of the Temple we know that the famous Tyrian Mysteries must have profoundly influenced the Hebrew esotericism. When we read of Daniel being educated in the palaces of Babylon we know that the wisdom of the Magi must have been accessible to Hebrew illuminati.
11. This ancient mystical tradition of the Hebrews possessed three literatures: the Books of the Law and the Prophets, which are known to us as the Old Testament; the Talmud, or collection of learned commentaries thereon; and the Qabalah, or mystical interpretation thereof. Of these three the ancient Rabbis say that the first is the body of the tradition, the second its rational soul, and the third its immortal spirit. Ignorant men may with profit read the first; learned men study the second; but the wise meditate upon the third. It is a strange thing that Christian exegesis has never sought the keys to the Old Testament in the Qabalah.
12. In Our Lord's day there were three schools of religious thought in Palestine: the Pharisees and the Sadducees, of whom we read so frequently in the Gospels; and the Essenes, who are never referred to. Esoteric tradition avers that the boy Jesus ben Joseph, when His calibre was recognised by the learned doctors of the Law who heard Him speak in the Temple at the age of twelve, was sent by them to the Essenian community near the Dead Sea to be trained in the mystical tradition of Israel, and that He remained there until He came to John to be baptised in the Jordan before commencing His mission at the age of thirty. Be that as it may, the closing clause of the Lord's Prayer is pure Qabalism. Malkuth, the Kingdom, Hod, the Power, Netzach, the Glory, form the basal triangle of the Tree of Life, with Yesod, the Foundation, or Receptacle of Influences, as the central point. Whoever formulated that prayer knew his Qabalah.
13. Christianity had its esotericism in the Gnosis, which owed much to both Greek and Egyptian thought. In the system of Pythagoras we see an adaptation of the Qabalistic principles to Greek mysticism.
14. The exoteric, state-organised section of the Christian Church persecuted and stamped out the esoteric section, destroying every trace of its literature upon which it could lay hands in striving to eradicate the very memory of a gnosis from human history. It is recorded that the baths and bakehouses of Alexandria were fired for six months with the manuscripts from the great library. Very little remains to us of our spiritual heritage in the ancient wisdom. Everything that was above ground was swept away, and it is uniy with the excavation of ancient monuments the sands have swallowed that we are beginning to rediscover its fragments.
15. It was not until the fifteenth century, when the power of the Church was beginning to show signs of weakening, that men dared to commit to paper the traditional Wisdom of Israel. Scholars declare that the Qabalah is a medieval forgery because they cannot trace a succession of early manuscripts, but those who know the manner of working of esoteric fraternities know that a whole cosmogony and psychology can be conveyed in a glyph which means nothing to the uninitiated. These strange old charts could be handed on from generation to generation, their explanation being communicated verbally, and the true interpretation would never be lost. When in doubt as to the explanation of some abstruse point, reference would be made to the sacred glyph, and meditation thereon would unfold what generations of meditation had ensouled therein. It is well known to mystics that if a man meditates upon a symbol around which certain ideas have been associated by past meditation, he will obtain access to those ideas, even if the glyph has never been elucidated to him by those who have received the oral tradition "by mouth to ear."
16. The organised temporal force of the Church availed to drive all rivals from the field and destroy their traces. We little know what seeds of mystical tradition sprang up only to be cut down during the Dark Ages; but mysticism is inherent in the human race, and although the Church had destroyed all roots of tradition in her group-soul, nevertheless devout spirits within her fold rediscovered the technique of the soul's approach to God and developed a characteristic Yoga of their own, closely akin to the Bhakti Yoga of the East. The literature of Catholicism is rich in treatises on mystical theology which reveal practical acquaintance with the higher states of consciousness though a somewhat naive conception of the psychology thereof, thus revealing the poverty of a system which does not avail itself of the experience of tradition.
17. The Bhakti Yoga of the Catholic Church is only Suitable for those whose temperament is naturally devotional and who find their readiest expression in loving self-sacrifice. But it is not everybody who is of this type, and Christianity is unfortunate in not having any choice of systems to offer its aspirants. The East, being tolerant, is wise, and has developed various Yoga methods, each of which is pursued by its adherents to the exclusion of the others, and yet none would deny that the other methods are also paths to God for those to whom they are suited.
18. In consequence of this deplorable limitation on the part of our theology many Western aspirants take up Eastern methods. For those who are able to live in Eastern conditions and work under the immediate supervision of a guru, this may prove satisfactory, but it seldom gives good results when the various systems are pursued with no other guide than a book and under unmodified Western conditions.
19. It is for this reason that I would recommend to the white races the traditional Western system, which is admirably adapted to their psychic constitution. It gives immediate results, and if done under proper supervision, not only does it not disturb the mental or physical equipoise, as happens with regrettable frequency when unsuitable systems are used, but it produces a unique vitality. It is this peculiar vitality of the adepts which led to the tradition of the elixir of life. I have known a number of people in my time who might justly be considered adepts, and I have always been struck by that peculiar ageless vitality they all possessed.
20. On the other hand, however, I can only endorse what all the gurus of the Eastern Tradition have always averred-that any system of psycho-spiritual development can only be safely and adequately carried on under the personal supervision of an experienced teacher. For this reason, although I shall give in these pages the principles of the mystical Qabalah, I do not consider it would be in anybody's interest to give the keys to its practice even if by the terms of the obligation of my own initiation I were not forbidden to do so. But, on the other hand, I do not consider it fair to the reader to introduce intentional blinds and misinformation, and to the best of my knowledge and belief the information I give is accurate, even if incomplete.
21. The Thirty-two Mystical Paths of the Concealed Glory are ways of life, and those who want to unravel their secrets must tread them. As I myself was trained, so can anyone be trained who is willing to undergo the discipline, and I will gladly indicate the way to any earnest seeker.
Friday, March 2, 2012
...Its object is to make the magician "come alive" in Inner Dimensions, establish his identity therein, and set up an operative consciousness on those levels. To do this, all else must be excluded or "banished" from the Cosmos created by the magician.
The Nil-concept must be established before any creation is possible. Therefore a Zero-state in relation to all other existence is essential. The principle involved is outlined by the ritual questioning;
"What is most important of all?"
"What is more important than God?"
"Nothing is more important than God."
"Therefore let Nothing come before God."
We can see now the esoteric significance of the injunction to: "have no other Gods before Me". That is not a command to abolish idols or other God-concepts than IHWH, but a positive instruction to start from the Nil or Zero point before any concept of Deity whatever. Our most direct way to the One God is via the Nil from whence Deity first emanated. Anyone reading a hint of atheism into this has utterly failed to grasp the slightest inkling of what is indicated, and had best re-zero themselves.
Most Mystery faiths or schools have their own zeroing procedure. In Masonry the Lodge is squared and tiled, in the Church there is a procession and exorcism with holy water, and in ritual Magic the Circle is cast and consecrated. Each practice has the same objective, to exclude the outer and open the Inner Dimensions for the participants, which means swinging the direction of consciousness through the Nil-point toward its changed focus of attention. This is only possible to a very limited degree with most human beings, because it means they must exclude every kind of thought directly connected with the outside world, and work with a completely changed consciousness in very different conditions than those of their mundane awareness. Few people can achieve this necessary detachment by their own efforts alone, and a major magical secret is that of complete detachment or absorption at will.
Tuesday, February 28, 2012
12: the hanged man - how light descended, plunged to dark, hard won knowledge of mankind to brute barbarian night consigned. Initiation may be a dark and desperate ride, a journey through the land of shade required before progress is made. Man's Dark Age was but a necessary ordeal, the anaesthetic dark you'd need for vital sugery to proceed.
13: death - dark ages at its peak, battlefields, the funeral, one state must end before another can start. Rebirth. Renaissance.
14: art - dawn, temperance, imagination tempered by will, chemistry, science art and beauty rose anew like gods. Through skies, consciousness flourished, reason thrived, civilization was revived
15: the devil - pentacle surmounts his frown with 4 points up and one down, 4 elements rise while spirit tramples lies, satan offers christ, materialism. In the light the renaissance brings, the age of reason spreads its wings, rationalism holds full sway and science ascends as god gives way
16: the tower - technological progress causes war. Babel meant to heaven reach, all towers men build a lesson teach. Lightning descending from the sky, reminds man there's but one most high, the divine. Industrial utopia went down in flames of world war one.
17: the star - the aftermath of war, many yearn for a more sacred path, theosophy, golden dawn, materialism ends, occult philosophy thrives.
18: the moon - the flicker of light that is the star, it's tiny and surrounded by blackness, occult nazis, darker more unreasoning side, moon's blackest face we see, nuclear stockpiles, with its end obsessed, darkness and conflict.
19: the sun - spiritual rediscovery, wealth and science and demographic surge, new ideas, buddhism, zen, astrology, i ching, hippies, psychedelics, bards and seers, zeitgeists solar flash scorches most visionaries to ash unfortunately, drugged melodramas become.
20: the aeon - judgment day, apocalypse = revelation, ideas from the psychedelics fuel progress, knowledge doubles, information.
21: the universe - new universe is begun, add card zero and ten spheres and 32 paths appear, this earth-moon path shows flesh & imagination's dance, mankind moves from earthly plane to the moon's imaginary domain, the dream-realm awaits, rejoice this is the promised time, of earth's ascent to realms sublime.
Monday, February 27, 2012
What will follow is a very basic summary with other tarot pictures, if you want the beautiful imagery and prose you will have to read Promethea issue 12
From whence were space and time deployed, if not this empty quantum void?
The Fool to the Magician yields, and from the vacant quantum fields erupts the singularity of all that is, or that may be. The spark from which al things proceed!
Parent of Suns and Substance, she! Womb of all possibility!
She's mother to all matter's schemes, its aspirations and its dreams.
union, holy spark burns in her, seeds of life in her abide.
The Big Bang!
the cast, life's script, scheme, cosmic play's theme
This visionary papal force guides fledgling life upon its course that the initial spark divine might foster a terrestrial line. From algue to annelid worm, through evolutions hoop we squirm, from fish to reptile, snake to bird, we're scaled, or feathered or else furred. From monkeys, life adapts and thrives.
the chariot that lifts us up
9: the hermit - human culture has to wait, gestate, grow, dark & warm from simple to more complex, retreat, evolving, the embryo.