Monday, July 28, 2008

BS

Belief Systems, BullShit, BiaS, ColBert's TruthinesS

Here are some funny ones: WeBSite, Bachelor of Science, Bovine Spongiform Encephalitis ake BSE ake Mad Cow Disease.


I recently realised I pass (what I think is) an antique store with the car nearly each day that is named BS :p I should check it out one time.

"When I watch CBS I see BS." Nas

"1. Never believe totally in anybody else's BS.
2. Never believe totally in your own BS."
Robert Anton Wilson

"I believe nothing - what need
Surrounded as I am with marvels of what is,
This familiar room, books, shabby carpet on the floor,
Autumn yellow jasmine, chrysanthemums, my mother's flower,
Earth-scent of memories, daily miracles,
Yet media-people ask, "Is there a God?"
What does the word mean
To the fish in his ocean, birds
In his skies, and stars?
I only know that when I turn in sleep
Into the invisible, it seems
I am upheld by love, and what seems is
Inexplicable here and now of joy and sorrow,
This inexhaustible, untidy world -
I would not have it otherwise."
From The Collected Poems of Kathleen Raine

"All our beliefs are being challenged now, and rightfully so; they're stupid."
Bill Hicks

"The attitude of faith is the very opposite of clinging to belief, of holding on."
Alan Watts

"I am a deeply religious nonbeliever - this is a somewhat new kind of religion."
Albert Einstein

"I don't believe anything anybody says, even when I know what they are talking about."
Colonel Jack O'Neill (Stargate SG1 :p)

"I don't believe anything I write or say. I regard belief as a form of brain damage, the death of intelligence, the fracture of creativity, the atrophy of imagination. I have opinions but no Belief System (B.S.)."
Robert Anton Wilson

"It is my firm belief that it is a mistake to hold firm beliefs!"
Malaclypse the Younger

"The mystics ask you to take nothing on mere belief. Rather, they give you a set of experiments to test in your own awareness and experience. The laboratory is your own mind, the experiment is meditation."
Ken Wilber

"In the province of the mind, what is believed to be true is true, or becomes true within certain limits to be learned by experience and experiment. These limits are further beliefs to be transcended. In the province of the mind. There are no limits."
John C. Lilly

"People have murdered each other, in massive wars and guerilla actions, for many centuries, and still murder each other in the present, over Ideologies and Religions which, stated as propositions, appear neither true nor false to modern logicians - meaningless propositions that look meaningful to the linguistically naive."
Robert Anton Wilson

"Anybody who gives you a belief system is your enemy, because the belief system becomes the barrier for your eyes: you cannot see the truth. The very desire to find the truth disappears. But if all your belief systems are taken away from you, in the beginning certainly, it is bitter. I know the fear, the anxiety, that will surface immediately which you have been suppressing for millenia. But it is there, very alive, no God can destroy it. Only the search for truth and the experience of truth, NOT a belief is capable to heal all your wounds. To make you a whole being, and the whole person is the holy person to me."
Osho

"Your beliefs become your thoughts, Your thoughts become your words, Your words become your actions, Your actions become your habits, Your habits become your values, Your values become your destiny."
Mahatma Gandhi

"In religion and politics, people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second hand, and without examination."
Mark Twain

"Beliefs! They're the bullets of the wicked!"
System of a Down

"He does not believe that does not live according to his belief."
Sigmund Freud

"The divine source is waiting for us to free our own selves, individually. There will be no 'mass ascention' no 'mass enlightenment' and 'we the people' have all been duped by 'we the people' into prolonging our sentence here. We can stay here in this place for eternity if that is our choice, and we have created a belief system that allows us to do so."
The Insider

"Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence."
Robert Anton Wilson

A true skeptic dares to question his own beliefs, materialism (the philosophical theory that matter is the only reality) and the consensus reality.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your common sense." - Buddha

Dedroidify said...

And even then, keep it a flexible catma, because even your own reason, common sense (the collection of prejucides acquired by age 18) and 'intuition' can be fooled. Even Buddha couldn't anticipate all the damn disinfo & bs coming out :p

Dedroidify said...

Like that time when someone told me "oh you don't believe in aliens, life must be funny if you live through reason instead of your intuition."

I could have replied she was confusing her beliefs with her intuition... but why bother her in her snuggle comfort zone (which will send more bs my way).